Monday, February 1, 2010

Entitlement

Some people may not like this post. I don't care. I think I normally have a fairly progresssive and realsitic point of view about adoption but sometimes something just ticks me off and I have to vent about it. That's where I'm at. Please, bear it in mind while reading.

I've seen more entitlement talk around adoption blogs. It seems to crop up fairly regularly. Please note, I'd like to say AGAIN that I never felt entitled to a child but I am a good mother and deserve to be one as much as anyone else does.

The thing that makes me the angriest is when I'm told that I don't dseserve to be a mother because my infertility is my fault. First of all, it's not. It's a genetic issue no one had any control of. I've seen the primary causes of infertility cited and sure some of them are life choices. But you know what? So is having sex. So let's look at this a moment. There are several genetic and environmental causes of infertility that are NOT caused by a choice. There is only one, yes ONE, cause of pregnancy that is not a lifestyle choice. That obvioulsly is rape. When you compare the percentages of pregnancies caused by rape to the percentages of people who are infertile through no fault of their own, which do YOU want to bet is higher?

I'm sick of being told that infertility does not entitle anyone to a baby. It's not that I think it does. It's just that you know what? Neither does being being able to get pregnant.

No comments: