Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rules

I've found myself saying this a lot recently, given that I've been a "mommy" to J and L for nearly 2 years now and none of us have any resolution as of yet. I posted it in a comment on a blog of a wonderful fellow fostermom and thought I'd say it here too.

The 2 hardest rules of fostercare:

1. Treat and love these kids as your own. (This is hard because it's gut-wrenching to do this knowing there's every possibility your heart will be broken if/when the kids leave you and you might never see them again.)

2. Got number 1? Good. NOW...never forget the whole time you're following number 1 that they AREN'T yours. (I'm not debating here the fact that they aren't ours as fp's. I KNOW that. I'm just stating that this is obviously a VERY painful irony we face if we really are doing our jobs as fp's.)

3 comments:

Kathy's Korner said...

It all makes no sense really at all.

And it makes sense why so many foster homes aren't what they should be.

:(

Anita said...

It's the hardest thing I've ever done, being a foster mom. Not sure how you've done it for so long! ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

The rules suck.