Sunday, March 22, 2009

The End In Sight (Finally!)

I'm sorry that I didn't update Friday after court. Friday night was spent half in shock and in over the top relief. Yesterday was spent in the throes of agony, along with Cory, as the two of us battled either a stomach virus or food poisoning. We're fine today.

So as you might have guessed from the title and the sentence above....it's nearly over! Yesterday didn't go as I expected at all! I arrived at the courthouse to find out that the witnessess were going to be sequestered (according to the cw.) What she meant was that each witness would testify alone in the courtroom with only the lawyers and parents present. This was for the comfort of one particular witness but if they do it for one I guess they have to do it for all. (Side note here-I'd have liked the courtesy of that when they were ripping me apart.) I got a chance to talk the witness for a few minutes and I heard some some cute, funny stories about the boys. I also heard a few more details about their past that I'd rather not have known. I also know that she was the one that initially turned the parents in, as well as the turning point in the case. When they saw her they knew it was over.

Seeing her there and knowing the "iron clad" case the county had (as I heard later in the words of the GAL), the parents decided to voluntarily terminate their rights. I was sitting in the conference room having assumed the hearing started and all of a sudden in walks the 2 cws present and their supervisor, the GAL, the county lawyer, and the parents' lawyer. I had no idea what was happening and about went into a panic attack until I found out they were there to discuss the terms the parents were requesting in order to voluntarily terminate their rights. They wanted a visit on L's birthday (coming up very soon) and updates with pictures. It won't be a goodbye vist per se because we decided not to tell the boys until the 30 day revocation period is up in case they change their mind. It would still happen, it'll just take longer and it would be better not to have to explain that to the boys. I of course had no problem with any of those terms. It was nearly 11:00 when we finally actually went into the courtroom, as opposed to 8:30 when the hearing was supposed to begin. It's done, though. We wait the 30 day revocation period and it's finally over. I hope that the boys can now actually work on HEALING as opposed to just constantly worrying about the future and being safe.

I actually spoke to the parents. It was hard to see them crying. I really don't doubt that it was difficult for them to do but I fully admit my empathy was hampered by knowing what I know about what they've done to J and L. They asked me to take good care of the boys and I promised I would. In the process of our conversation I did find out a few things that L told them on visits that weren't true that would have made ME mad if I were in their shoes. One example would be that they've sent pictures of themselves at various points for the boys to have and apparently L told them I threw them all out. I didn't...the boys have a copy of every picture ever sent in their lifebooks and I have the originals put up in my room for safe keeping. I personally think L said that as a safer way to express HIS negative feelings towards them. He wanted to hurt them but was too afraid to do it more directly, if that makes sense.

I also actually had a nice conversation with my archnemesis in the case lol. Bruce, who supervised visits, and I have been at odds for most of this case. Given his version of events I still think he should've done several things differently, but I'm glad we managed to end things on a good note.

It's almost over. Finally. 2 years and a month in and we can finally see the light of safety and a future for my boys!

4 comments:

Anne said...

That is wonderful Becky. I'm thrilled. It is a bumpy road in foster care but when it finally comes to the point of turning toward the light at the end of the tunnel it becomes so worth it all. The boys however should not have had to suffer. I'm so sorry children ever have to pay the price they do to be loved.

Renee said...

What a weight lifted. I am so happy for all of you!!!!!

Patti said...

Becky I am so happy for you- simply thrilled. You've waited for this day for a long, long time.
May God continue to smile down on you and your boys! Be Blessed! Pep

Stephanie said...

Praise GOD!!!!