Saturday, May 16, 2009

"I'm Grad-ge-ated"


The day was perfect, sunny but cool and breezy. Aunt Val and I sat by the lake in our chairs and waited for the processional to start. They marched in to Billy Dean's "Let Them Be Little." I, of course, cried.

I can't get over how much time has gone by since he's been in my life. It doesn't seem possible that my baby has gotten to be so big. How does it go so fast????? I feel like I blinked and his toddlerhood is over. I know part of it is the dark cloud that was the court case that hung over everyday. I TRIED not to let it touch everyday or those special mommy moments, but it was always there. I pottytrained him. I taught him to swim. I taught him not to swear. Would any of it matter? If he went back to that horrible life, would any of it help him? I'm still, after all this time, not sure how to put into words what it feels like to love a child and raise him as your own not knowing if he is or will be yours. At any rate...he is mine now and he's safe forever. And he's growing from pre-schooler to grade-schooler, whether I like it or not.

No comments: